Plumbing problems in North Vancouver can range from the mundane to the apocalyptic!
Depending how handy you are with tools and your tolerance for the “ick” factor, you can resolve many home plumbing issues in North Vancouver on your own. The trick is to know how much you can do yourself and when to call a plumber.
Let’s take a look at five common home plumbing problems in North Vancouver:
- Toilet leaks can range from the barely perceptible to the dramatic. Either way, they waste water—up to 700 litres per day! Replacing the inner workings of your toilet is a relatively easy DIY project and will probably address the issue. If it doesn’t, it’s probably time to give a plumber in North Vancouver a call. The problem might require replacing your toilet.
- Slow or clogged drains. Prevention is key here. Use drain screens to keep hair out of drains and never pour anything down a drain that doesn’t belong there (including dairy products and all oils and fat). If you do have a clog, pull out whatever you can reach with a pair of long-nose pliers. If that doesn’t do it, try the plunger. Next up are drain cleaners, but only occasionally! They corrode pipes and should be used sparingly, if at all. A North Vancouver plumber can help by performing an annual inspection and clean-out.
- Water heater. Running out of hot water is never fun. But it’s nothing compared to having the bottom fall out of your water heater and flooding your home! Check your water heater’s warranty period. If you are anywhere near the expiry date, have it inspected by a certified plumber in North Vancouver like Hillcrest Plumbing and Heating. They will tell you what kind of shape it’s in and perform all the necessary adjustments, cleaning and maintenance.
- Low water pressure is a common issue in older homes and can be symptomatic of serious underlying problems. Start by making sure all the water valves in your home are fully open. If that doesn’t help, remove and clean faucet aerators and shower heads. If that doesn’t change anything, give us a call at Hillcrest Plumbing and Heating. We’ll conduct a full inspection of your home plumbing in North Vancouver.
- Sump pumps need to be tested and maintained regularly. After all, they’re the only thing standing between you and disastrous basement flooding in North Vancouver! Don’t neglect them.