Tips for Handling a Commercial Plumbing Emergency
Even with proper maintenance, plumbing issues can occur on your business premises at any time. It is how you respond and the actions you take that can make a difference. As a business owner, you have to be ready for just about anything. Plumbing emergencies can throw off operations if you are not ready and cause unnecessary downtime for your business.
What to do When you have a Plumbing Emergency
Plumbing emergencies can happen day or night and very often the worst issues emerge on the weekend or after hours. From an overflowing toilet in your restaurant to a burst pipe in your manufacturing plant, these plumbing issues can happen without notice. Some ways you can ensure a fast recovery from an emergency include:
- Alerting Property Management - If you are not the property owner or you are an employee, contact the management company immediately. The faster you initiate the call, the faster your property management can call a plumber to fix it.
- Turn Off the Water, If Possible – Attempt to locate the water valve and shut it off if you can or contact a plumber in the Vancouver area right away to assist you. This can limit the amount of water damage on your property
- Have an Emergency Plan in Place - You have a plan for fire emergencies, but what is your plan for plumbing emergencies? Have some general rules and roles already assigned in the event of an emergency, such as who is in charge of cleanup, where operations will move in the event an area of the building cannot be used, etc.
- Alert Customers and Accommodate them - Depending on your business, you may have to shut down until the repairs are done or at least arrange alternative accommodations for clients in the building.
- Document the Damage - You may have to file an insurance claim for any damage that occurs due to the plumbing issue. Document with photos, write down the details of when, where, and, if possible, why it happened.
Contact a Plumber in Richmond Right Away
Having a reputable l plumber’s number on hand can make a difference in these types of emergencies. A plumber can help you find the water shut off and do an emergency repair so that your business experiences as little downtime as possible.
Hillcrest Plumbing & Heating has a team of emergency plumbers available to service locations in the Greater Vancouver Area. If you are experiencing a plumbing emergency or want more information contact our knowledgeable staff now at 604-879-5301 or online.